Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not Quite Healed


My knee has prevented me from running. My last run was the McGuire's 5K on March 13th. Last week I saw the physical therapist that helps our student athletes at Murphy. He was able to schedule an appointment with on orthopedic surgeon on Friday. The diagnosis: patellar tendinitis.

I have been pain free since last Thursday. Stretching, icing, and resting have been key elements to my recovery. My doctor advised me to rest for 1-2 weeks.

Tonight I decided to test my knee, so I meet my TEAM at USA for track practice. My plan was to walk two miles around the track. I completed 5 laps before the pain set in. My final lap marked 1.5 miles. I'm not sure now if I will be able to finish the Azalea Trail Run (ATR) this weekend. It is a 10K (6.2 miles). My TEAM is planning on running 10 miles prior to the ATR. I am so frustrated and feel so alone. This endeavor has been one of the hardest challenges I have faced in recent years. I continue to think positively because I am doing something good for others. For people who need my help.

So tomorrow I begin physical therapy. I am optimistic that this will get me back on track for my marathon. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment